Farm to School
Dairy is fresh, local and always in season.
Use the resources and activities below to help your students understand where their milk comes from and the role dairy farm families play in producing a wholesome, nutritious product that goes from the farm to glass in as little as two days.
Dairy Harvest of the Month
Need ideas how to make the most of Dairy Harvest of the Month or Put Local on Your Tray? Give these ideas a try:
Demonstrate Dairy in your Cafeteria!
Work with School Food Service to:
Offer our new School Meal Recipes featuring dairy for students to try as a part of the school menu
Host a smoothie-making or smoothie recipe contest at your school
Do a new dairy food taste-testing
Connect your students to dairy farming!
Invite a local dairy farmer into the classroom
Arrange a field trip to a local dairy farm
Have students view the 360° videos of local farms online
Dairy Education Resources
Use the educator guide and activities from these 3 reproducible handouts along with a colorful classroom wall poster to help your students make a personal connection to the farmers in your region responsible for the nutritious dairy products they consume every day. Activities focus on deeper-level thinking skills and stimulate discussion about dairy farming; dairy nutrition and sustainability and food waste.
Activities take students to two Vermont dairy farms through online 360º videos that let them control their mouse, so they can explore aspects of each farm as they learn how New England dairy farmers’ care for their cows helps protect our environment with sustainable farming practices and 21st-century technology.
- An educator guide
- Three lesson plans meeting common core standards designed to enhance your classroom’s health and science curriculum
- One poster featuring the steps on how milk gets from farm to table
Discover the cows, communities and journey of dairy with a 360º Virtual Experience that transports students straight to the farm!
- Curriculum and corresponding video that explore the STEM behind dairy’s farm-to-table journey.
- Virtual Dairy Farm Field Trip and companion activity that provides a moo perspective of what dairy farms are actually like
- Explore the cool technology and innovations that make dairy’s journey from the farm to the fridge possible
Use this state-specific poster and fact sheet to help connect students to real farmers and facts about dairy in their state and communities.